Foam Torte (1919) ★★★★★

So I had bought a bunch of strawberries which were about to become inedible. Naturally I looked for a way to use them up and I found this recipe by searching Feeding America. Reading the recipe, I thought this was similar to the Australian/New Zealand pavlova, and I think it definitely turned out that way.



Original Recipe: 


The Verdict:
Very delicious! I love the texture of the meringue - the crust dissolves on your tongue and the inside is chewy like a marshmallow. The strawberries provided a nice tang and freshness which was necessary to cut the very sweet meringue. I think with bananas only this would be too sweet. I'm not sure if the recipe was meant to be this way, but my foam torte turned out like...well, a tart's crust. I wish I had added more strawberries for filling, though, as the sides were pretty high. I also think that my springform pan was a tiny bit too big. I would have preferred a slightly smaller and thicker crust, especially on the bottom. Like a deep-dish pizza, kind of.

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from The International Jewish Cookbook)

4 EGG WHITES
1 tablespoon VINEGAR
1 cup SUGAR
1 teaspoon VANILLA
SLICED FRUIT, such as strawberries, peaches (with cream), or bananas

1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a springform pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Then slowly add the vinegar by drops, while beating. Add half the sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Add the rest of the sugar and the vanilla and beat until the egg whites are glossy and form stiff peaks.
3. Add the egg whites to the prepared pan (reserving some for decorating if desired) and spread with a spoon, making sure to line the sides of the pan to create a crust. Use the reserved egg whites to decorate the top of the torte. Bake for about 45 minutes. When done, let it cool in the oven without opening the door.
4. When cooled, add the sliced fruit to the top of the torte and serve.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Looks really tasty! Sort of like a pavlova but without the whipped cream! :)

    ReplyDelete